Room is Canada’s oldest feminist literary journal, and has published fiction, poetry, creative nonfiction, art, interviews, and book reviews for forty years. Published quarterly by the West Coast Feminist Literary Magazine Society, also known as the Growing Room Collective, Room showcases writing and art by women (cisgender and transgender), transgender men, Two-Spirit and non-binary people. Works that originally appeared in Room have been anthologized in The Journey Prize Anthology, Best Canadian Poetry, Best Canadian Stories, and Best Canadian Essays, and have been nominated for National Magazine Awards. Visit Room‘s website.
Meghan Bell has been the publisher of Room since 2015 (and an editorial board member since 2011), and has edited three issues of the magazine and assistant edited one. In her time at Room, Meghan has overseen multiple projects and initiatives, including:
- Co-founding the Growing Room festival in 2017 and securing funding for its first three years (including grants and sponsorships). Other responsibilities include: acting as a member of the programming committee, coordinating and designing the program guides, graphic design, securing venues, managing the website and ticket sales, media relations, and crisis management.
- Project management and lead editing of Making Room: Forty Years of Room Magazine, including securing a grant from the Canada Periodical Fund for the project and coordinating an IndieGoGo pre-sale campaign that raised $10,615. Addition responsibilities included: graphic design, marketing, and author communication.
- Project management for Room’s print and web redesign in 2016, including securing a grant for the project.
- Securing distribution into US bookstores (including Barnes & Noble) and introducing digital subscriptions through Press Reader.
- Securing an office space for the magazine in 2016.
- Editing the digital version of the magazine (since 2016), including the viral advocacy project, No Comment.
- Coordinating circulation and marketing strategies that have doubled paid circulation in the last four years, and other fundraising strategies that have tripled Room‘s annual revenues since 2014.
Making Room: Forty Years of Room Magazine
Lead Editor, Project Manager, March 2017
“In the hashtag and hot-take era, it is a relief to wade through a female world as beautiful and broken and messy as this one.”—Rosemary Westwood, The Literary Review of Canada
Room Magazine (Print)
Issue 42.3 “Sports”, Editor, September 2019 (forthcoming)
Issue 40.2 “Our Rubble, Our Loss”, Editor, June 2017
Issue 38.2 “How We Relate”, Editor, June 2015
Issue 37.3 “Geek Girls”, Editor, September 2014
Issue 36.3 “Murder, Lust, & Larceny”, Assistant Editor, September 2013
Room Magazine (Online)
Editor, roommagazine.com (2016 – present)
BLOGGING / REVIEWS / INTERVIEWS
Regular contributor to roommagazine.com (2014 – Present)
Book reviewer for Room Magazine (2013 – Present)
Motion Sickness by Ursula Pflug (book review)
The Mystics of Mile End by Sigal Samuel (book review)
Violet Quesnel by Coby Stephenson (book review)
Vancouver Fringe Festival 2017 Reviews (theatre reviews)
Vancouver Fringe Festival 2016 Reviews (theatre reviews)
Love Bomb by Meghan Gardiner (theatre review)
Stationary: A Recession-Era Musical by Christine Quintana (theatre review)
ribcage: this wide passage by Heather Hermant (theatre review)
GRAPHIC DESIGN / TYPESETTING
Issues 38.2 (June 2015) – Present
Making Room: Forty Years of Room Magazine, March 2017
SOUND / VIDEO EDITING
Lit Mag Love, Episodes 1-7